Denotes - Click to download
Reissue of Passport - General guidelines
- Service fee as prescribed in the Citizenship Rules 2009 for renunciation of Indian citizenship - Dh. 570/-(Dh. Five hundred seventy only)
- Application to be made in form EAP I - External.
- Application for renewal of passport can be submitted if the final validity of the passport is less than one year.
- Old Passport in original with photocopy of page 1, 2, 33, 35 and visa page and additional booklets, if any, should be submitted.
- The applicant should submit the application in person for identification, however minors up to the age of 5 are exempted from this requirement.
- Four recent (not more than six months old) photographs showing frontal view of full face against light background in civilian clothes taken in a studio (Polaroid photographs and photographs with dark glasses or uniforms are not accepted) should be submitted along with the application.
- Minors are issued passports for 5 years or up to attaining 18 years, whichever is earlier.
- Applicants are advised to ensure that their application in the prescribed format is complete in all respects; that all columns are correctly and legibly filled up and no column is left blank or unfilled/unresponded or vaguely filled with a dash, tick, etc. All signatures in the application should be with ballpoint pen of black or blue ink. Those who cannot affix their signatures like infants, minors or illiterate should put their thumb impression in the place of signature.
- It is an offence under the Passport Act 1967 to furnish false information in the application. Passport facilities could be denied on grounds of suppression of material information, submission of incorrect particulars, wilful damage/loss of passport or for unauthorized change/tampering. The Passport can be impounded or revoked for violation of one or more of the provisions of the Passport Act.
- It is an offence to hold more than one valid passport at a time.
- A passport expired more than six months back should be supported by a Sworn Affidavit explaining the circumstances and the reasons for late renewal. An extra fee of Dhs. 40/- will be charged for the Sworn Affidavit in such cases.
- Those Indian citizens acquiring citizenship/passport of another country should immediately surrender their Indian passport to the Indian Embassy/Consulate by signing the citizenship renunciation form.
- Emergency service for issue of passport can be availed by payment of an additional fee of Dhs.550/- under the Tatkal Scheme. Normal fee for adult – Dhs.150/- and minor up to 18 years of age – Dhs.100/-. The validity of Tatkal passport is generally for one year, which can be extended later without any fee.
- For other than Abu Dhabi issued passports –personal particulars form is also to be filled.
Abu Dhabi issued Passport - 5 working days
Passport issued by other PIAs – Maximum 40 days
Passport under Tatkal scheme - Next working day
The applicant is required to buy EMPOST sticker for delivery of his/her passport
Please click here for required service/information:-
All foreign nationals entering India are required to possess a valid international travel document in the form of a national passport or UN Laissez Faire with a valid visa obtained from an Indian Mission or Post abroad. Nationals of Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives are however, exempted from this requirement.
UAE nationals, as also nationals of other countries with residence visa of Abu Dhabi or Alain and residing in Abu Dhabi or Alain, are required to apply in the prescribed form for visa. The application, complete in all respects, with two passport-size photographs and a photocopy of the passport, should be submitted in person with the prescribed fee at the designated counter in the Embassy from 0900 to 1200 hrs on all working days. The visa is processed and the passport returned the next working day by Empost. The prescribed application formmay be obtained from the Reception Counter or downloaded from the Embassy of India's website.
Please ensure the following, while submitting your application:-
- Passport should be valid for a minimum period of six months beyond the date of intended departure from India.
- Paste one photo and staple the other one on the form at a specified place.
- Applicants other than UAE nationals should submit proof of permanent residence in the country
- In its absence, a reference will be made to their country of residence at an additional fee of Dhs.50/- with an additional processing time of 7 days.
- The application forms should be filled in English only.
- Each Visa application must be accompanied by an Empost sticker for delivery of the Passport after processing the Visa.
- Each visa application is considered on its merits and the Embassy may ask for additional information at any stage during the processing of the application. Submission of application along with prescribed fee does not guarantee issuance of visa. The following types of visas are issued by the Embassy of India, Abu Dhabi:
- Tourist Visa
Application in the prescribed form (which may be downloaded from the Embassy's website) along with (i) two recent passport size photographs, (ii) passport in original with photocopies of its first five pages, (iii) confirmed return air ticket in original with a photocopy, should be presented in person. Tourist visa is valid for 6 months with multiple entries.
Please note : There should be a minimum gap of 2-months between two successive visits to India on Tourist Visa.
- Business Visa
Application in the prescribed from (which may be downloaded from the Embassy's website) supported by a letter from the Abu Dhabi Chamber of Commerce and Industry, or from the sponsor company authenticating the purpose of the visit and a letter of invitation received from the business firm or company in India, along with two passport sized photographs, passport in original and a photocopy of the first five pages should be submitted at the Embassy. The passport and resident visa should have at least six months validity.
- Student Visa
Foreign Students are allowed to study in recognized graduate and post graduate level medical, para-medical, Engineering and Technical institutes in India. Foreign students intending to pursue regular academic courses in India should apply for STUDENT VISA.
Student Visa: Foreign Students seeking Student visa should apply in normal visa application form and produce following documents:-
- Firm proof of admission to a recognized University/educational institution;
- A letter of approval or No Objection Certificate from Ministry of Health Government of India (GOI) in case of admission to medical or para-medical courses and from Ministry of Human Resources Development (Department of Education) (GOI) in case of Engineering and Technical courses. This letter of approval can be obtained from the college/institute where admission has been confirmed.
- Satisfactory evidence of financial support.
- Travellers cheques for AED 4000/-
Provisional Student Visa: There might be some cases where the applicants do not have firm letters of admission from the college/institute because of the procedure which requires admission tests etc. Such students may apply for Provisional Student Visa on the basis of Provisional Admission Certificate issued by the University/institute.
- Transit Visa
Is issued for a maximum period of 15-days with single/double entry facilities to bonafide transit passengers only.
- Journalist Visa
Is issued to professional journalists and photographers. The applicants are required to contact on arrival in New Delhi, the External Publicity Division of the Ministry of External Affairs and in other places, the Office of the Government of India's Press Information Bureau.
- Conference Visa
Is issued for attending conferences/seminars/meetings in India. A letter of invitation from the organizers of the conference is to be submitted alongwith the visa application. Delegates coming to attend conferences may combine tourism with attending conferences.
- Employment Visa
Is issued to skilled and qualified professionals or persons who are engaged or appointed by companies, organizations and economic undertakings as technicians, technical experts, senior executives etc. Applicants are required to submit proof of contract / employment/ engagement of foreign nationals by the company or organization and a copy of the agreement of the company approved by the Government of India.
- Medical Visa
The medical visa would be admissible to all foreigners seeking Medicare in recognized specialty hospitals or treatment centers in India. Although non exhaustive, following illustrative list of serious ailments would be of primary consideration; neuro-surgery; ophthalmic disorders; heart related problems; renal disorders; organ transplantations; plastic surgery; joint replacement etc. The initial period of such a visa will be one year or for the period of treatment whichever is less. Unlike the tourist visa, this can be extended in India, with supporting Medical documents. Such visa will be valid for maximum three entries during one year. The applicant should seek preliminary medical advice from the Abu Dhabi or Alain and should have been advised to go for specialized medical treatment. Foreigners visiting on 'M visa' will be required to get themselves registered mandatorily well within the period of 14 days of arrival with the concerned FRROs/ FROs. Attendant/family members of the patient coming to India for medical treatment shall be granted miscellaneous visa co-terminus with the 'M Visa' of the patient. Such visa may be granted to the spouse/ children or to those who have blood relations with the patient.
- Pakistani National
Pakistan nationals with resident visa of Abu Dhabi and Alain and residing there may apply in quadruplicate (two originals and two photocopies in the prescribed application form), with four recent passport size photographs, the current and all previous passports, a photocopy of the first five pages of the current passport and documentary evidence as may be required. Visitor visa is granted to Pakistan nationals, who have blood relatives in India or other legitimate purpose, and should furnish documentary proof in support thereof. They should give a complete verifiable address of their relative in India. Application should be complete in all respects and should in particular, indicate port of arrival as well as details of previous visits to India, if any. The visa fee is Dhs. 3/-. Applications for business visas should be supported by a letter from the Chamber of Commerce & Industry/sponsor and invitations from companies in India.
General Information about issue of Visa
- The duration of stay in India, for each visit on a tourist visa or business visa is only for a period of 6 months even though a valid visa may be for more than 6 months.
- Visa is given for a period for which passport is valid. For example, if a passport is valid until April 30, 2010 and an applicant is applying for 5 years visa on December 31, 2007, the applicant will not be issued a 5 years visa as the passport expires before the 5 year visa.
- Validity of all visas is counted from the date of their issue.
- If visa is for more than 180 days, registration with Foreigners Regional Registration Office in the nearest city is compulsory within 14 days of first arrival in India.
- For extension of visa in Delhi, Please contact Ministry of Home Affairs- Director (Foreigners), Lok Nayak Bhawan, Ist Floor, Khan Market, New Delhi-110003.
|NRIs / PIOs DESK
The Government of India has launched a comprehensive scheme for Persons of Indian Origin called the PIO Card Scheme. The PIO card scheme enables a person of Indian origin up to the 4th Generation down, as also spouses of such persons to apply for and obtain a PIO card. The scheme however, does not cover nationals of Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Bhutan, China, Afghanistan, Iran and such other countries as may be specified.
Facilities to be extended to a PIO Card Holder:
- A PIO Card holder shall not require a separate visa to visit India.
- A PIO Card holder will be exempted from the requirement of registration if his stay on any single visit in India does not exceed 180 days.
- In the event of continuous stay in India of the PIO Card holder exceeding 180 days, he/she shall have to get himself/herself registered within 30 days of the expiry of 180 days with the concerned Foreigners Regional Registration Officer/Foreigners Registration Officer.
- All PIOs including PIO Card holders, shall enjoy parity with NRIs in respect of all facilities available to the latter in the economic, financial and educational fields except in matters relating to the acquisition of agricultural/plantation properties. No parity shall be allowed in the sphere of political rights.
- Application in the format prescribed.
- 6 latest passport-size photographs (Frontal view against light background).
- Present passport (in original) [and a copy thereof], held by the applicant .
- Copy of the Indian passport, if any, held in the past.
- Copy of the deed renouncing Indian citizenship (if any).
- Copy of Birth Certificate (if born in India) or driving license /ration card or such other documentary proof as may be available, if the applicant ever resided in India.
- Copy of the Indian passport, if any, held by either or both parents/grand parents/great grand parents.
- Copy of UAE passport held by the husband in case of ladies of Indian origin married to UAE nationals and copies of the Marriage Certificate (Nikahnama).
- Proof of either or both parents or any or all of grandparents or great grandparents having born or permanently resident in India, as defined in the Government of India Act, 1935.
- Proof of bank accounts, property, shares etc. held in India by the applicant or his spouse, or any of his parents, grandparents/great grandparents.
- Submit in person to establish identity.
AED 1150/- for PIOs above 18 years and AED 575/- for PIOs below 18 years. This has to be deposited with the application, duly supported by all necessary documents, as detailed above.
Note: Acceptance of application form does not confer any right on the applicant to the PIO Card.
|OVERSEAS CITIZEN OF INDIA SCHEME (OCI)
The Overseas Citizenship of India Scheme has become operational with effect from 2nd December, 2005. The salient features of the scheme are given below:
- Eligibility criteria:
A foreign national, who was eligible to become citizen of India on 26.01.1950 or was a citizen of India on or at anytime after 26.01.1950 or belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947 and his/her children and grand children, provided his/her country of citizenship allows dual citizenship in some form or other under the local laws, is eligible for registration as Overseas Citizen of India (OCI).
Minor children of such person's upto the age of 18 are not eligible for OCI. Moreover, if the applicant had ever been a citizen of Pakistan or Bangladesh, he/she will not be eligible for OCI.
- Application form and procedure:
Each applicant is required to fill Form XIX Part A and Part B which can be downloaded from this website - (Please download from the link).
The following documents shall be enclosed in respect of each applicant:
- Proof of present citizenship - a copy of passport / citizenship certificate.
- Evidence of self or parents or grand parents,
(a) being eligible to become a citizen of India on 26.01.1950; or
(b) Being citizen of India on or after 26.01.1950; or
(c) Belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15.08.1947
These could be:
(i) Copy of the Indian passport; or
(ii) Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Competent authority; or
(iii) Any other proof.
- Evidence of relationship as parent/grand parent, of their Indian origin, if claimed as basis for grant of OCI.
- Four copies of applicant's latest passport size photograph
- If you are a PIO Card holder, should submit a copy of your PIO card.
- All the documents enclosed with the application should be self attested.
- This form when completed should be submitted in duplicate (both sets must have original photograph and signature alongwith enclosures). The applicant will have to submit his/her application at the Indian Embassy in Abu Dhabi (if you are residing in Abu Dhabi or AlAin for the past one year) in person and sign a declaration in the presence of Consular Officer in the Mission.
- If you are in India, then submit the form to the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO), Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Amritsar or Chief Immigration Officer (CHIO), Chennai or Under Secretary, OCI Cell, Citizenship Section, Foreigners Division, Ministry of Home Affairs.
Fees in Dirham
Full text of the Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2003 and the Citizenship (Second Amendment) Rules 2004 is available on the http://www.mha.nic.in/citi.htm.
Registration Fee as OCI - 1020/-
Registration Fee as OCI for PIO Card holders - 100/-
Transfer of Universal Visa (from the old passport to the new one) - 20/-
Duplicate Certificate of OCI (if the OCI card is lost/damaged) - 100/-
Service fee as prescribed in the Citizenship Rules 2009 for renunciation of Indian citizenship - Dh. 570/-(Dh. Five hundred seventy only)
Note: - In case the application for Registration as OCI is rejected for any reason, the fee will be refunded after deducting an amount of AED 100/- as processing fee.
The time for processing an application, from the date the application is received at the Embassy, complete in all respects, would be a maximum of 30 days.
Period of Validity
The Registration Certificate will be valid for life unless renounced or cancelled.
The Overseas Citizens, however, will not enjoy the following Rights:-
- An Overseas Citizen of India will enjoy all rights and privileges available to Non-resident Indians (NRIs) in financial, economic and educational fields except in the acquisition of agriculture and plantation properties.
- Multiple entry, multi-purpose life long visa to visit India.
- There would be no visa requirement for travel to India. The person would have to carry his/her existing foreign passport along with Registration Certificate.
- The person so traveling would not be required to register with the FRRO/Police authorities for any length of stay in India.
- All facilities as available to children of NRIs for getting admission to educational institutions in India including Medical and Engineering Colleges, Management Institutes etc. under the general category and membership of various housing scheme etc. will be open to holders of Certificate of Registration.
- Right to Vote;
- Right to hold Constitutional Offices (Member of Lok Sabha, Rajya Sabha, Legislative Assembly or Council, offices of President, Vice President, Judge of Supreme Court & High Court etc.);
- Appointment to Public Services (Govt. Services)
Persons with Dual Passports
Persons having the passport of the country concerned, (one of the sixteen countries listed) and that of a third country, can also apply for a Certificate of Registration.
Overseas Citizenship is not Dual Nationality
It may kindly be noted that Overseas Citizenship is not a full citizenship of India and, therefore, does not amount to dual citizenship or dual nationality.
|CONSULAR SERVICES - FORMS
General consular forms, standard application forms for consular services maybe downloaded by clicking any link below. Should you have trouble downloading the form, use the right button on your mouse and select "Save this document" or "Save Link as". The application forms should be filled only in English. Please ensure to fill all columns and do not leave any column blank.